Thursday, May 8, 2008

Momma the Trucker

Today I feel like a trucker. Or at least what I think it might be like to be a trucker. This week so far I have spent more time in my car than a mom should be allowed. The mommy snap quotient is mighty high.

I don't know what it is about May, but activities and events seem to be coming at lightning speed. April is this lovely, leisurely walk through the days and May is a knock down marathon of activities to cram in before the end of the school year.

There's the ferrying back and forth to school, carpool kids dropoff, field trips, groceries, the almighty Target visit, grandma to the doctor, dog to the doctor and pretty soon momma's going to need a doctor.

I'm working on not being a whiner about it. I'm trying to move my mind from "I have to" to "I get to." The thinking that I don't "have" to drive my son to school, but I am blessed with a car, an amazing son and a chance to connect with him before his day begins. And all these errands, instead of feeling overwhelmed, to move my thinking to -- this is the way I honor my family by taking great care of them and using this time to listen to my Creator as I go about my day.

It's so easy to focus on the negative and stay stuck in that -- my lovely young friend has inoperable liver cancer, my dog is dying of melanoma, my mom has to go through hip surgery again and I'm not sure how she can pay for it.

But as my buddy Room Parent says "good always wins." I have a strong healthy body, I have a wonderful church family, a dynamic mixture of friends, a beautiful son and loving husband. I am surrounded by so much goodness. And complaining about that seems shallow.

So for now, I'm a temporary trucker. My aim is to be a joyful one.

No comments: