Friday, January 25, 2008

Family Sandwich

My morning started just the way I like it -- with a family sandwich.
My husband and I sleeping peacefully in our beds. Next add in the 6 year old about midnight. Then comes the dog Java around 3 a.m. (after first needing to be let out and then back in). We are all piled into what feels like the teeniest of beds...dog, husband, kid and me. Each one making their own unique breathing sound. My husband throaty sighs, my son delicate puffs, my dog serious and big snozz type of snores. And me, usually awake, quietly taking it all in.

Some people would get irritated beyond belief at the lack of space and the symphony or noises. I love the family sandwich. I love it because I know when 6 a.m. comes, we will all go our individual and highly busy ways. We will all be lost in the intricacies of work, school, writing, activities and for my dog, sleeping again. But for these tucked in, cozy winter nights, I can't help but treasure my family sandwich.

No comments: