Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Treasuring Tortillas

What's your emergency meal? Mine is a tortilla.

When I say "emergency meal" I mean "I'm so hungry that I could eat my arm if I don't get something in a jiffy."

I like to cook them directly on the stove (no pan). Flipping them quickly back and forth, I warm them until their browned bubble spots become a bit burned. Next I slather with gobs of butter and roll them into a handy tube for quick eating. My 6 year old son even loves tortillas and likes to chomp faces out of them -- biting holes for eyes, nose and mouth spots. I know this sounds weird, but he likes to wear his "tortilla face" just for a little while before he eats it. What can I say? It's all for the love of the tortilla.

I personally treasure them so much that I wrote an entire essay about tortillas. Actually it was more about a lovely lady named Hope who made them by hand and taught me as a kid to appreciate their humble goodness.

Carolina Woman Magazine recently selected this essay, "Hope's Tortillas" as an Honorable Mention for their annual Writing Contest. You can check it out at www.carolinawoman.com/writing_winners.htm#honor1

Yeah for tortillas!

No comments: