Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Getting Scary

It's scary season and in the spirit of things, I have been working on scaring myself daily.

Last week I read "do something every day that scares you."

I was trying to remember the last time I attempted something truly scary. Usually it's life that does the scaring -- watching the news, praying with a friend that was struggling with breast cancer, making casseroles for a family who is undergoing bone cancer treatments. You don't have to work very hard to be scared every single minute.

I was running through my daily moments trying to find anything I did that was a bit edgy, risky or truly dangerous. Here's my day: car pool, getting some writing done, paying bills, going to the gym, a few errands and then back to carpool. I think the scariest thing in there is the driving.

Scary doesn't have to be huge -- like bungee jumping, doing an Ironman or scaling a mountain -- although those are all good and creepy things to do. The scary I was looking for is in the taking risks. Even little ones that weren't really a big deal in the scheme of things, but a teensy bit dangerous nonetheless.

Scary to me is picking up the phone and pitching my ideas, sending out my writing, actually doing the work and being okay with getting a lot of rejections. It's getting my book done. It's being committed to the craft of being a writer and following through, despite the fact that it doesn't pay well and it's dang hard work.

As we close in on the season of mischief, I'm going to get busy scary myself today.

A good question: how have you scared yourself today?

3 comments:

Kristi Butler said...

Be fearless!! Go for it, my friend!!! You are such a gifted writer!!
Hugs!

Kristi Butler said...

Just had to come back and say that you inspired me! My hubby & daughter went trick or treating with one of her friends & her dad. I took a brisk walk out there...in the eerie, balmy, moonlit evening...all alone with the Batmen and Star Wars and ghouls, Oh My! It was hauntingly wonderful!

Jennifer Taylor said...

I try not to scare myself. The world does enough of that with all the craziness in it. I just try to be free in my responsibilities, remember my blessings, and be happy!