Friday, May 21, 2010

Waking the Grateful Dead

I've been working on a grateful experiment lately.

Garbage in, garbage out was how it got started. I was stringing together too many days of negative attitude and something was beginning to stink (me). So I decided to start thinking differently. I'm always telling my son "use your mouth to speak blessings" -- it was time to walk my talk.

It started small. Little things that made me thankful, small ways people were a light to me, and kindnesses I could bestow -- anywhere I could find a chance to express gratitude, I did it.

Here's a few examples:
--The school band at the art festival -- I wrote them a note to thank them for their beautiful music and inspiring youth.
--The farmer's market co-op -- acknowledging them for doing such a good job in supporting local farmers and bringing me amazing treasure week by week.
--The friend you can count on -- thanking her for always being there and reminding her of all the radiant qualities that make me glad she is in my corner.
--My husband -- writing a note to express gratitude and adoration for planning a fun date night.
--My son's teachers -- celebrating them for the love they lavish on all the kids, including mine.

The response I got -- in a word: shock.

Most people are knocked over when you take a moment to notice them in their gifts. To stop and truly see how people are making your little world a more wonderful place requires a different way of seeing. My encouragement is to try out the "grateful experiment" for yourself. I did it for selfish reasons, but the reward I received was a surprise. I was done with the garbage. Grateful in, grateful out was a much more fragrant way to operate.



2 comments:

SoMo Mom said...

Hey Cara. Your words always inspire me! This is such a great post! I think I'll try this experiment myself! Thx!

Kristi Butler said...

Awesome post, my friend!! I always love to read your writing!!

Hugs!

Funny thing, you know those curvy letters that you have to type in below your comment..."word verification"...well, I always get a kick out of them and try to make up silly meanings. Today was the first time I've actually seen a real word...and one so appropriate for your post....It is "bless"!!! How cool is that???