Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The Smell of Grass

What does grass smell like?

I'm not talking about the smell of freshly cut lawns, or happening to drive by and getting a casual whiff of that green tangy smell. I'm talking about nose in the earth, fully body face down in the green stuff.

Recently, I was doing something that required me to lay face down in the grass. I forgot my mat for stretching, I didn't have a picnic blanket, towel, chair, nothing. There I was, face planted in the grass, body stretched out, tummy side down.

I started laughing at the idea of it -- it had been a long long time ago that I actually layed in the grass. Usually if I am in the grass, it has to be with 15 modern day conveniences like a lawn chair, a sheet, a blanket on top of that, bug spray, wipes, etc. None of that was in play and it was wonderful.

I was instantly transported back to the days of college when we didn't travel around with gobs of gear for safety and hygiene purposes. If it was a nice day, we plunked ourselves down on the spot. We made out in the grass, we ate our lunch in the grass. Backpacks tucked behind our head for support, the grassy lawns of my college campus were perfect places to stretch out in between classes, get a tan, smooch with a boyfriend or savor life on a sunny day. Grassy was good.

With warm weather here, the grass is looking that fresh color of baby green. So the next time you see a lonely little patch, plant yourself in it and see what happens. You are guaranteed a trip to someplace else from a simpler time in your life.

Come on in, the grass is fine.

No comments: